AngloAmerican purchased the property in 1987, extensive investments were made in viticulture and in restoring the Estate's historic core, with a view to sharing the Estate with visitors worldwide.
Among the many projects undertaken on the Estate by Anglo American was an extensive programme of clearing invasive alien vegetation, land rehabilitation and restoration of the Estate's historic core. The vineyards were re-established following intensive climatic and soil tests. A detailed master plan was drawn up for the development of the farm and in 1992, an impressive,
multi-leveled, sunken hilltop winery was built and opened by Baron Eric de Rothschild, owner of Château Lafite (Bordeaux) in France. Today, Vergelegen competes with the top 100 wines of the world and positions itself among the leading conservers of Cape cultural heritage.
Throughout its history and especially during the last two decades, heads of state and celebrities of international renown have been visiting Vergelegen.
• Nelson Mandela and the ANC Executive - May 1990:
The first meeting of the caucus of the ANC took place in the seclusion of Vergelegen before it was opened to the public, with amongst others, Nelson Mandela and Thabo M’Beki attending.
• Archbishop of Canterbury and Mrs Carey – February 1993:
With the wives of the Archbishops’ of the Anglican Communion.
• Sir Edmund Hillary – 1993:
• Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II and HRH Prince Phillip - March 1995:
Anglo American Corporation hosted a private luncheon for Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II and HRH Prince Phillip during a State visit to South Africa.
• Queen of Malaysia – September 1995:
• Archbishop Emeritus Desmond Tutu - November 1995:
A farewell dinner to mark Archbishop Emeritus Desmond Tutu’s retirement.
• HRH Duke of Kent – April 1997:
• Nelson Mandela Children’s Fund dinner - December 1997:
‘Thank you’ dinner, following exhibition tennis matches to mark the launch of the Nelson Mandela Children’s Fund, attended by President Nelson Mandela and including Boris Bekker, Andre Agassi and Brooke Shields.
• US President & Mrs Clinton - March 1998:
State Banquet in honour of United States President Bill Clinton and Mrs Hilary Clinton, hosted by President Nelson Mandela and Ms Graça Machel.
• HRH Prince Phillip and HRH Prince Edward – November 2000:
Repeat visit to Vergelegen.
• Mr and Mrs Nelson Mandela – ‘46664 concert’ gala dinner - November 2003:
Hosted by Mr and Mrs Nelson Mandela for "46664” Concert VIP guests – including Bono, Annie Lennox, Beyoncé Knowles, The Corrs and Oprah Winfrey amongst others
• World Cup 2010 - bid dinner hosted by Anglo American – November 2003
• Vice President of the People’s Republic of China – June 2004:
• Elton John Cape Town Ball - January 2005:
The Elton John Cape Town Ball to benefit the Elton John Aids Foundation. The event was attended by 500 guests, amongst them Anglican Archbishop Emeritus Desmond Tutu and South African and international celebrities.
• Duke and Duchess of Westminster – April 2007:
Private picnic and wine tasting.
• Ms Martha Stewart (US talk show host and business-woman) – February 2010:
Hosted to an informal tour and tasting.
• Dr Henry Kissinger and Family – July 2010:
Homestead dinner hosted by Ms Cynthia Carroll.
• Their Royal Highnesses the Prince of Wales and the Duchess of Cornwall – 5 November 2011:
VIP cocktail reception in the Octagonal Garden hosted by Godfrey Gomwe on behalf of Anglo American and Dame Nicola Brewer on behalf of the British High Commission.
Vergelegen Estate | Somerset West, South Africa | +27 21 847 2100 | infovergelegen.co.za
Copyright © 1999-2019 • Gondwana Studio - All Rights Reserved • Vergelegen Estate